Seymour Indiana History
I was born in May, but I will always welcome the opportunity to visit those who have lived in Seymour, Indiana, which proudly claims to be home to eminent doctors, inventors, and rock stars. Seymour is home to many different attractions, including Seymour Airfield and the Whiteside Museum of Natural History, which dates back 280 million years. Located in the heart of the city of Seymour and just a few miles from the Indiana State University campus, Seymour offers a thriving urban center, making it a great place to live in Hoosier State. The refuge covers a 78 hectare site known as the Restle unit, with over 1,000 hectares of open space and a number of historic buildings.
The city was then a major rail hub, and a gang of outlaws, the Reno Gang, emerged in the area, terrorising the Midwest and probably the world's first peaceful railroad robbery. On July 27, 1865, the situation in the Seymour area became so bad that the Seymour Times issued a warning to be on the lookout for thieves and assassins who would come to the area. The Reno gang planned to steal their first train to Seymour and then made their way to Seymour's Radar House, called the "Seymour Hotel," where unhappy travelers who stayed there were often left penniless.
In response, the gang's survivors soon contacted a Fort Wayne newspaper that reported that the remaining gangs would lay Seymour to ashes after the Renos were hanged.
William Simeon was soon captured by the Pinkertons in Indianapolis and taken to Scott County Jail in Lexington. Theodore Clifton and Charles Roseberry were arrested in Rockford and all three prisoners were taken to Seymour Prison. The train rescuers were later convicted and taken to Indiana State Prison in Jeffersonville.
The next day they boarded a steamer bound for Cleveland, where the couple traveled by train to Cincinnati, Ohio, and were eventually taken to the New Albany, Indiana, prison where Frank Reno was unhappily reunited with his brother, Sim William. Sparks returned to Jackson County, Indiana, where he immediately began planning another train robbery. After the loot was divided up, the gang hid in the woods before making their way to Windsor, Canada, just across the Detroit border.
John, who had been recognized, was soon pursued by the Pinkertons, who finally caught him on December 4, 1867, in Seymour and brought him back to Missouri, where he was tried. Half a dozen men from Pinkerton jumped on a train and arrested John on December 4, Christmas Day, as he drove to Seymour station.
On July 27, the Pinkertons announced that they had located William "Sim" Reno in his Indianapolis hideout and arrested him. The December 19 issue of the North Missourian, however, said Reno had been arrested.
The missing loot from the secret gang was buried in an unmarked grave with Reno's brother in the old Seymour Cemetery. The missing loot of the secret gangs had been buried in unmarked graves in the older Seymour Cemetery, along with his brother's old grave.
Seymour has a soldier's marker showing that William Reno served in Company K of the 140th Indiana Regiment, but no records of his service have been found. Seymour houses the remains of a missing retired professional wrestler, Robert Shields, and his personal diary, which earned him a place on the Indiana State Historical Society's Record of Military Records.
Seymour has been dubbed the "Crossroads of America" because of the north-south-east-west rail links that cross the city centre. The North and South Railways, which connect Indianapolis with Jeffersonville, were built in 1840 in the latter and cross Shields Farm. It was also built on the site of a former train station at the intersection of South Main Street and the Ohio River and was rebuilt in 1842. In the first, Seymour was called "America's Crossroads" because the North, South, East and West Railways intersected downtown, but later it was renamed "Soylent Green" to commemorate its proximity to Indiana State University.
The era of Freeman Army Airfield ended in 1947 when the base was closed and given to the city of Seymour for a dollar. Built in 1918 with neoclassical architecture and Bedford limestone, the building served as a base for the 2nd Infantry Division of the US Army and as an airfield. The tornado reached EF4 strength as it continued to destroy buildings on the south side of South Main Street, near the intersection with the Ohio River. It bypassed the main building, demolished the southern third of it and left only a part of the inner wall in the northern part.
After years in the Salt River area of Kentucky, James Reno moved to Jackson County with his family, including son Wilkinson. Then, in 1852, an east-west railroad was surveyed through Jackson County, and Shields persuaded the railroad company to cross his property instead of living in Rockford. Captain Shields was still not satisfied with the rail business and brought forward a bill requiring trains to stop at railway junctions.